PURPOSE: This two-year degree prepares students to transfer to a four-year college and major in music with a performance concentration. This degree is offered at the Midlothian Campus.
CREDENTIALS: An Associate of Fine Art (AFA) degree is a major in an area such as theatre, music, and visual arts that takes two years for full-time students to complete. The AFA degree is for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges.
TRANSFER INFORMATION: This program is designed for transfer. Students should consult with their advisors to ensure that they select general electives that best prepare them for the specific requirements of their intended transfer college or university programs of study. More information can also be found at www.jtcc.edu/academics/transfer/
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an intermediate level of competency in the following skills:
- Analyze a musical composition in terms of musical terminology, chord structure, and rhythm.
- Write a musical composition demonstrating an understanding of the elements of musical theory.
- Perform in an ensemble setting.
- Demonstrate proficiency in playing piano at a sophomore level.
- Demonstrate knowledge of music history appropriate to the sophomore level.
- SDV 100 - College Success Skills 1 credit
- ENG 111 - College Composition I 3 credits
- MTH 154 - Quantitative Reasoning 3 credits Additional Course Options: MTH 161 MTH 263 .
- MUS 111 - Music Theory I 4 credits
- MUS 141 - Class Piano I 2 credits
- MUS 226 - World Music 3 credits
- MUS 129 - Theatre/Musical Workshop 3 credits Additional Course Options: MUS 137 , MUS 143 , MUS 144 , MUS 148 , MUS 149 . (4-5 credits)
- ENG 112 - College Composition II 3 credits
- MUS 112 - Music Theory II 4 credits
- MUS 142 - Class Piano II 2 credits
- MUS 131 - Class Voice I 2 credits Additional Course Options: MUS 132 , MUS 145 , MUS 136 , MUS 155 , MUS 165 , MUS 175 , MUS 185 , MUS 236 , MUS 245 , MUS 255 , MUS 265 , MUS 275 MUS 285 . (6 credits)
- HIS 111 - World Civilization Pre-1500 CE 3 credits Additional Course Options: HIS 112 , PSY 200 , PSY 230 , SOC 200 .
- MUS 221 - History of Western Music Prior to 1750 3 credits
- MUS 211 - Advanced Music Theory I 4 credits
- PHY 101 - Introduction to Physics I 4 credits Additional Course Options: ENV 121 , CHM 101 , BIO 101 .
- MUS 222 - History of Western Music 1750 to Present 3 credits
- MUS 212 - Advanced Music Theory II 4 credits
- ENG 225 - Reading Literature: Culture and Ideas 3 credits Additional Course Options: ENG 245 , ENG 246 , ENG 255 , ENG 258 , ENG 275 .
- MUS 132 - Class Voice II 2 credits Additional Course Options: MUS 129 , MUS 131 , MUS 136 , MUS 137 , MUS 138 , MUS 143 , MUS 144 , MUS 145 , MUS 148 , MUS 149 , MUS 155 , MUS 163 , MUS 164 , MUS 165 , MUS 175 , MUS 185 , MUS 225 , FRE 101 , FRE 102 ,
GER 101 , GER 102 . (3-4 credits)
Total Minimum Credits to Complete: 62-64
Pre-requisite and co-requisite requirements can be found in course details.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete their ENG, MTH, and SDV requirements first.
Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their degree progress by accessing advisement reports in the Student Information System (SIS) in the myTyler portal or the Academic Planner in Navigate.
General education and major degree requirements will vary by institution and by program. Students must meet with their academic advisor to determine the best choices for transfer. Note that some course options have prerequisites.
Some four-year programs require a foreign language. See advisor to determine best options for transfer. Note that some options have prerequisites.
Voice majors are generally required to take French, German, or Italian. JTCC offers FRE courses online and on campus whereas GER courses are offered online only through Northern Virginia Community College. Italian is not currently being offered. Students transferring to programs that require a foreign language should enroll in the highest-level foreign language course for which they are prepared. Heritage or conversationally fluent speakers may enroll directly into 102. See advisor to determine best options for transfer.