PURPOSE: This two-year degree prepares students to transfer to a four-year college and major in theatre, with a technical theatre concentration. This degree is offered at the Midlothian Campus.
CREDENTIALS: An Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree is a major in an area such as theatre, music, and visual arts that takes two years for full-time students to complete. The AFA degree is for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges.
TRANSFER INFORMATION: This program is designed for transfer. Students should consult with their advisors to ensure that they select general electives that best prepare them for the specific requirements of their intended transfer college or university programs of study. More information can also be found at www.jtcc.edu/academics/transfer/
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placement tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an introductory level of competency in the following skills:
1. Create a technical portfolio that demonstrates competencies in set design, makeup/costume, set/props build, lights/sound, stage management/production.
2. Show competency in the following technical areas: makeup/costume, set/props, lights/sound, or stage management/production.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of theatre history in the context of current professional practice.
4. Communicate ideas, concepts, and requirements related to the student’s professional practice to theatre professionals and laypersons.
5. Gauge measurements of linear perspective and proportion, in relation to drawing.