Total Minimum Credits to Complete: 64
Pre-requisite and co-requisite requirements can be found in course details.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete any ENG, MTH, and SDV requirements first.
General education courses and prerequisite courses can be taken in any order.
Completion of the general education, FNS 110 , FNS 121 and CHM 110 courses does not guarantee full admission to the Funeral Services Program (see admission requirements above).
Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report by accessing the Student Information System (SIS) through the myTyler portal.
FNS 270 and FNS 290 can only be taken in the last semester. Students must have approval to take these courses from the Funeral Services Program department chair.
In order to receive the Funeral Service license in the Commonwealth of Virginia, an individual must:
- Complete an accredited program of mortuary science or funeral services;
- Pass the National Board Examination for funeral services as administered by the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining with a minimum score of 75 on the Arts Section and 75 on the Science Section. ;
- Complete a 3000-hour internship with a licensed funeral services provider in the Commonwealth of Virginia as prescribed by the Regulations of the Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers; and
- Pass the Virginia State Board Examination after completing the educational requirements, the internship, applying and being approved by the Board.
National Board Examination pass rates, graduation rates, (beginning in 2015) and employment rates (beginning in 2015) for this and other ABFSE-accredited programs are available at www.abfse.org. To request a printed copy of this program’s pass rates and rates, go to Moyar Hall, Room 117D (Chester Campus) or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (804) 706-5066
Program Information - John Tyer Community College
||# of New
|# of Grads
||Graduation Rate **
||Did Not Finish ***
||Overall % Employed
||Employed In FS
* Timely graduation = complete program in 1½ times designated program length.
** Graduation rate reflects cohort graduation rate (% of students from original cohort completing in the designated year)
*** Left before completing the program; did not finish.
National Board Statistics - John Tyler Community College
|3 Year Average
||% Pass Arts
||% Pass Sciences
|2017 - 2019
|2016 - 2018
|2015 - 2017
|2014 - 2016
To request a printed copy of this program’s rates, visit Moyar Hall, Room 117 (Chester Campus).