Jul 31, 2021
2020-2021 College Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
PURPOSE: This two-year degree prepares students to transfer to a four-year college and major in music with a performance concentration. This degree is offered at the Midlothian Campus.
CREDENTIALS: An Associate of Fine Art (AFA) degree is a major in an area such as theatre, music, and visual arts that takes two years for full-time students to complete. The AFA degree is for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges.
TRANSFER INFORMATION: This program is designed for transfer. Students should consult with their advisors to ensure that they select general electives that best prepare them for the specific requirements of their intended transfer college or university programs of study. More information can also be found at www.jtcc.edu/academics/transfer/
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an intermediate level of competency in the following skills:
- Analyze a musical composition in terms of musical terminology, chord structure, and rhythm.
- Write a musical composition demonstrating an understanding of the elements of musical theory.
- Perform in an ensemble setting.
- Demonstrate proficiency in playing piano at a sophomore level.
- Demonstrate knowledge of music history appropriate to the sophomore level.
- SDV 100 - College Success Skills 1 credit
- ENG 111 - College Composition I 3 credits
- MTH 154 - Quantitative Reasoning 3 credits Additional Course Options: MTH 161 MTH 263 .
- MUS 111 - Music Theory I 4 credits
- MUS 141 - Class Piano I 2 credits
- MUS 136 - Applied Music-Voice 2 credits
- MUS 137 - Chorus Ensemble 2 credits (1-2 credits) Additional Course Options: MUS 129 , MUS 143 , MUS 144 , MUS 148 .
- ENG 112 - College Composition II 3 credits
- MUS 112 - Music Theory II 4 credits
- MUS 142 - Class Piano II 2 credits
- MUS 145 - Applied Music - Keyboard 2 credits Additional Course Options: MUS 136 , MUS 155 , MUS 165 , MUS 175 , MUS 185 .
- MUS 144 - Jazz Chamber Ensemble 1 credit Additional Course Options: MUS 137 , MUS 143 , MUS 148 .
- MUS 131 - Class Voice I 2 credits
- PSY 230 - Developmental Psychology 3 credits Additional Course Options: HIS 111 , HIS 112 .
- MUS 221 - History of Music I 3 credits
- MUS 211 - Advanced Music Theory I 4 credits
- MUS 155 - Applied Music - Woodwinds 2 credits Additional Course Options: MUS 136 , MUS 145 , MUS 165 , MUS 175 , MUS 185 .
- MUS 143 - Chamber Ensemble 1 credit Additional Course Options: MUS 137 , MUS 144 , MUS 148 .
- BIO 101 - General Biology I 4 credits Additional Course Options: ENV 121 , CHM 101 , PHY 101 .
- MUS 222 - History of Music II 3 credits
- MUS 212 - Advanced Music Theory II 4 credits
- MUS 165 - Applied Music - Strings 2 credits Additional Course Options: MUS 136 , MUS 145 , MUS 155 , MUS 175 , MUS 185 .
- MUS 148 - Orchestra Ensemble 1 credit Additional Course Options: MUS 137 , MUS 143 , MUS 144 .
- ENG 241 - Survey of American Literature I 3 credits Additional Course Options: ENG 242 , ENG 243 , ENG 244 , ENG 251 , ENG 252 .
- MUS 149 - Band Ensemble 1 credit Additional Course Options: MUS 143 , MUS 144 , MUS 148 .
Total Minimum Credits to Complete: 61-63
Pre-requisite and co-requisite requirements can be found in course details.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete their ENG, MTH, and SDV requirements first.
Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report by accessing the Student Information System (SIS) through the myTyler portal.
General education and major degree requirements will vary by institution and by program. Students must meet with their academic advisor to determine the best choices for transfer. Note that some course options have prerequisites.
Some four-year programs require a foreign language. See advisor to determine best options for transfer. Note that some options have prerequisites.
Voice majors are generally required to take French, German, or Italian. JTCC offers FRE courses online and on campus whereas GER courses are offered online only through Northern Virginia Community College. Italian is not currently being offered. Students transferring to programs that require a foreign language should enroll in the highest-level foreign language course for which they are prepared. Heritage or conversationally fluent speakers may enroll directly into 102. See advisor to determine best options for transfer.