2019-2020 College Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Advanced Manufacturing Technology, AAS
PURPOSE: This two-year degree prepares students for jobs in the field of advanced manufacturing. It also provides training for students already working in the field. Students learn the latest manufacturing methods and business skills to advance into a leadership role. Jobs include team leader, supervisor, and foreman. This program is offered at our Chester Campus. All career-technical degrees are guided by advisory committees comprised of local business leaders.
CREDENTIALS: An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is a major in a career-technical area that takes two years for full-time students to complete.
TRANSFER INFORMATION: This program is not intended for transfer. Although the purpose of an AAS degree is to gain skills for employment, some transfer institutions may accept some or all of the courses from an AAS major. Students desiring to transfer should consult their academic advisors and their intended transfer institutions for specific direction in program and course selection. More information can also be found at www.jtcc.edu/academics/transfer/
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admissions requirements If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental courses to prepare students for the curriculum. Work-based learning is a required component of the program. Students without current or recent related work experience are responsible for securing their own internships, assisted by JTCC faculty. Students with current or related work experience are responsible for working with the faculty advisor to secure appropriate documentation. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an intermediate level of competency in the following skills:
- Apply the principles and techniques of quality engineering for management, design, production, and assurance of quality.
- Analyze the process by which businesses, not-for-profit institutions and governmental agencies transform resources into goods or services to meet the demands of customers or clients.
- Implement the fundamentals of basic electrical theory in practical electrical/machine applications.
- Demonstrate computer numerical control techniques in metal forming and machine processes, including program writing, setup and operation.
- Collaborate effectively in teams to improve quality and productivity.
- Analyze materials structure and properties, quality assurance, inspection, and industrial manufacturing processes.