Jun 17, 2021
PURPOSE: This two-year degree prepares students for jobs in the field of mechanical engineering technology. Jobs include manufacturing planner, engineering technician, and CAD operators. This degree is offered at the Chester Campus. All career-technical degrees are guided by advisory committees comprised of local business leaders.
CREDENTIALS: An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is a major in a career-technical area that takes two years for full-time students to complete.
TRANSFER INFORMATION: Though this program is not designed for transfer, this degree may be transferable to some four-year colleges. Students desiring to transfer should consult their academic advisors and their intended transfer institutions for specific direction in program and course selection. More information can also be found at www.jtcc.edu/academics/transfer/
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an intermediate level of competency in the following skills:
- Successfully work in teams and display professional ethics.
- Design and execute engineering projects.
- Articulate the process of design, as well as changes from the initial design to the final product in written and oral contexts.
- Calculate and convert between US Customary and SI Units, and apply basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry concepts.
- Solve engineering problems using computational tools.
- SDV 101 - Orientation to Discipline 1 credit Additional Course Option: SDV 100 .
- ENG 115 - Technical Writing 3 credits Additional Course Option: ENG 111 .
- MTH 111 - Basic Technical Mathematics 3 credits Additional Course Options: MTH 154 , MTH 161 , MTH 162 , MTH 263 .
- CAD 151 - Engineering Drawing Fundamentals I 3 credits (Offered Fall Only) Additional Course Option: CAD 201 .
- MEC 101 - Introduction to Engineering Technology I 2 credits (Offered Fall Only)
- MEC 113 - Materials and Processes of Industry 3 credits
- CHM 101 - Introductory Chemistry I 4 credits Additional Course Options: PHY 101 ,CHM 111 ,PHY 201 ,PHY 241 .
- PHI 220 - Ethics 3 credits Additional Course Options: ART 101 , ART 102 , PHI 101 , REL 100 , REL 230 .
- ITE 115 - Introduction to Computer Applications and Concepts 3 credits
- MEC 102 - Introduction to Engineering Technology II 2 credits (Offered Spring only)
- MEC 270 - Computations for Engineering Technology 3 credits
- CAD 241 - Parametric Solid Modeling I 3 credits
- ELE 150 - A.C. and D.C. Circuit Fundamentals 4 credits
- MAC 131 - Machine Lab I 2 credits
- MEC 131 - Mechanics I – Statics for Engineering Technology 3 credits
- MEC 211 - Machine Design I 4 credits (Offered Fall Only)
- CAD 242 - Parametric Solid Modeling ll 3 credits
- ELE 159 - Electrical Motors 3 credits
- MEC 132 - Mechanics II – Strength of Mat. for Eng. Tech 3 credits (Offered Spring Only)
- MEC 161 - Basic Fluid Mechanics - Hydraulics/Pneumatics 3 credits
- SOC 200 - Principles of Sociology 3 credits
Total Credits to Complete Program: 61
Pre-requisite and co-requisite requirements can be found in course details.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete their ENG, MTH, and SDV requirements first.
Students with good computer skills may seek to satisfy the ITE 115 requirement by taking the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the John Tyler Community College ITE 115 Test Challenge Exam.
Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report by accessing the Student Information System (SIS) through the myTyler portal.
Courses noted as Fall only or Spring only are based on historical trends and current planning and may change without notice.