Programs in the areas of nursing, emergency medical services (EMS), funeral services (FNS), and Massage Therapy (PHT) are administered by the Division of Mathematics, Natural and Health Sciences. For additional information on these programs, please contact the Division of Mathematics, Natural and Health Sciences: 804.706.5084 (Chester Campus, Moyar Hall, M129) or 804.622.8700 (Nursing Education Center) or 804.594.1500 (Midlothian Campus, Hamel Hall, H320).
Our Nursing-related degrees prepare students for entry in a wide range of careers. The following degrees prepare students for some of the jobs in the health science field:
- The Health Sciences AS degree (along with an AAS in Nursing) is intended for transfer into Bachelor of Nursing (BSN) degrees at many four-year colleges. Students are eligible to apply to our Associates of Nursing degree during their first semester of study. If accepted, they should plan on completing both degrees. Students can then complete their Bachelor’s degree in one year at several of our transfer partner schools. Students who are planning on entering into non-nursing health occupations (respiratory therapy, dental hygiene, etc.) may find that this degree contains all the required prerequisites for their intended program.
- The Certified Nurse Aide/Medication Aide CSC is a Career Studies Certificate (CSC) designed to provide entry-level training for nurse aides and for occupational progression to become a Medication Aide. This program prepares students for the Virginia Board of Nursing’s occupational exams for Certified Nursing Assistant and Registered Medication Aide.
- The Nursing AAS degree is an applied degree that prepares students to become a registered nurse. Students should consult the degree description for admission requirements.
The Emergency Medical Services Program prepares students for employment with ambulances, fire and rescue, air medical, community health systems and hospitals under various levels of government, private, and non-profit entities. Students who bring in prior EMS certifications are eligible to receive credit for these courses upon completion of the other courses in their EMS curricula. All programs include credentialing as Emergency Medical Technician in the first part of the program. The following programs prepare students for this field:
- The Emergency Medical Services – Paramedic AAS degree is intended for students entering into the Paramedic career.
- The Emergency Medical Services – Advanced Emergency Medical Technician CSC produces entry-level Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians.
The Funeral Services program prepares students for entry into careers in funeral services. The following degree prepares students for this field:
- The Funeral Services AAS degree is an applied degree program that prepares students to become licensed funeral directors. In order to become a licensed funeral services director, students need to complete the AAS in Funeral Services, pass the National Board Exam, and complete an extensive internship.
The Massage Therapy Career Studies Certificate program prepares students to sit for the National Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx). Graduates can apply for a massage therapy license and then work in medical facilities such as rehabilitation centers, physician offices, nursing homes as well as recreation facilities such as wellness spas, exercise facilities, and massage franchise offices.
The Psychology AS degree is a two-year degree that prepares students to transfer to a four-year college and major in psychology. For more information on this major, contact the Division of Arts, Humanities, Math and Social Sciences. 804.706.5086 (Chester Campus, Moyar Hall, M131) or 804.594.1509 (Midlothian Campus, Eliades Hall, E308).
MajorsTransfer DegreesCareer and Technical Programs