2019-2020 College Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Business Management, AAS
PURPOSE: This two-year degree prepares students for jobs in office and retail management and supervision. This degree is not designed for transfer to a four-year college. All career-technical degrees are guided by input from local business leaders. All career-technical degrees are guided by advisory committees comprised of local business leaders.
CREDENTIALS: An Associate of Applied Science degree is a major in a career-technical area that takes two years for full-time students to complete. Although the purpose of an AAS degree is to gain skills for employment, some transfer institutions may accept some or all of the courses from an AAS major.
TRANSFER INFORMATION: This program is not intended for transfer. Students desiring to transfer should consult their academic advisors and their intended transfer institutions for specific direction in program and course selection. More information can also be found at www.jtcc.edu/academics/transfer/
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES: By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an intermediate level of competency in the following skills:
- Convey the ethical and legal implications of managerial decisions, and the effect of those decisions on organizational stakeholders.
- Apply basic management principles in first-line supervisory situations.
- Recognize and apply basic economic principles related to macroeconomic theories.
- Recognize and apply basic economic principles related to microeconomic theories.
- Demonstrate basic proficiency in creation of spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel.
- Create an operational database using Microsoft Access.
- Describe the role of information in a modern economy.