PURPOSE: This program prepares students for careers in building design and land development, including architectural, engineering, computer-aided drafter, civil or surveying drafter, architectural engineering technologist, design assistant, specifications assistant and field inspector/ contract administrator.
By the completion of this program, students will be expected to demonstrate an intermediate level of competency in the following skills:
- Produce a representative set of accurate working drawings for a residence using computer-aided design software.
- Produce a representative set of accurate working drawings for a commercial building using computer-aided design software.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform basic topography surveying operations.
- Perform tests on soil, concrete, and steel construction materials.
- Evaluate a building for code compliance.
- Use surveying equipment, following procedures and applying computations to ensure accurate measurements.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
Text in italics and parentheses indicates approved course substitutions. Pre-requisite and co-requisite requirements can be found in course details.